I. Vocabulary and Structure
1. Tom was disappointed that most of the guests ______when he ______at the party.
A. had left,arrived B. left, had arrived
C. had left, had arrived D. left, arrived
2. Sir Denis, who is 78, has made it known that much ofhis collection ______ to the nation.
A. has left B. is to leave C. leaves D. is to be left
3. The work ______ by the time you get here.
A.will have been done B.is done
C.had been done D.would have done
4. It ______ for a week and the streets were flooded.
A.has rained B.was rained
C. had been raining D.should have rained
5. Sorry, but wecannot go to San Diego. Our cousins ____ to see us next Sunday.
A. come B. are coming C. have come D. came
6. The bus is lateand Julie is cold. She ____ for the bus for 10 minutes.
A. waits B. waited C.has been waiting D. haswaited
7. All of us think it difficult to ______ thedifference between the two things.
A. talk B. speak C. lecture D.tell
8. George is so ______ in debt that he is afraid to show up in thepub in case he meets his six creditors.
A. involved B.concentrated C. devoted D. concerned
9. A new situation is likely to ______ when the schoolleaving age is raised to 16.
A. rise B.arise C. happen D. raise
10. Be quiet! It'srude to ______ people when they are speaking.
A. interfere B. introduce C. interrupt D. prevent
11. The music advisertaught her how to ______ a song to find its mood and meaning.
A. compose B.preserve C. include D. analyze
12. Rapid readingmeans reading something fast just to ______ the general idea.
A. master B. seize C.grasp D. imagine
13. Finding itdifficult to ______ to the climate in the city, he decided to move to theNorth.
A. adopt B.adapt C. fit D. suit
14. They built strongwalls round the town as a ______ against the enemy.
A. depend B. defend C.defeat D. defense
15. The students werenot____to leave the classroom without an adequate reason.
A. permitted B. remitted C. admitted D. emitted
16. I don’t think itis easy to ______ your weight if keep on eating that way.
A.decrease B.reduce C.decline D. shorten
17. The guide is ____a line of tourists through the narrow passage with the help of his torch.
A.concluding B.containing C.conducting D.conquering
18. It _______ thevillage where we spent our holidays last summer.
A. reminds me of B. reminds me to C. remembers me of D. remembers me to
19. It’s too expensivefor me. I can’t _______it.
A. spend B. cost C. pay D. afford
20. I didn’t know whatto do but then an idea suddenly______ to me.
A. happened B. entered C. occurred D. hit
21. Mr. Wilson saidthat he did not want to ______ any further responsibilities.
A. take on B. bring on C.get on D. carry out
22. Dear, do send thechildren to bed. I can't _______their noise any longer.
A. put off B. put up C. stand up D.put up with
23. Will you please______ my parcel at the post-office as you pass?
A. pick out B. pick up C. take out D. take up
24. In making suchmodels, skills as well as thorough knowledge of plant structure are ______.
A. called on B. called up C.called for D. called in
25. The little boy______ his hiding place when he coughed.
A. gave away B. gave up C.got away D. got in
26. None of usexpected the chairman to ______ at the party. We thought he was still inhospital.
A. turn in B. turn up C. turn over D.turn down
27. When he heard thebad news, he ______ completely.
A. broke away B.broke up C. broke down D. broke out
28. If I had moretime, I would ____ golf as a hobby.
A.take in B.takeon C.takeup D.takeover
29. Would you like me______ the radio a bit?
A. turning down B. turned down C. turn down D. to turn down
30. Since the road iswet this morning, ______ last night.
A. it must have rained B. it must rain C. it must be raining D. it must have been rained
31. As teachers weshould concern ourselves with what is said, not what we think ______.
A. ought to be said B.must say C. have to be said D.need to say
32. You ______ allthose calculations. We have a computer to do that sort of thing.
A. must not have done B. should not have C. can not have done D. needn’t have done
33. With all this workon hand, he ______ to the cinema last night.
A. mustn’t go B. wouldn’t go C. oughtn’t go D. shouldn’t have gone
34. “I saw Mary in thelibrary yesterday.” “You _______her, sheis still in hospital.”
A. mustn’t have seen B. could not see C. can’t have seen D. must not see
35. He regretted______ the decision so hastily.
A. make B. making C. to make D. have made
36. The speech whichhe made ______ the project has bothered me greatly.
A. being concerned B. concerning C. be concerned D.concerned
37. --- “ Joe doesn’tseem like the same person.”
---“______so much in the war has made himmore thoughtful.”
A. To have seen B.Having seen C. His seeing D. For him to see
38. He had no choicebut ______ to see him.
A. to go B. went C. going D. go
39. Although young,Fred could resist ______ what to do and what not to do.
A. to be told B.having been told C. to have beentold D.being told
40. No matter howfrequently ______, the works of Beethoven always attract a large audience.
A. performing B.performed C. to beperformed D. being performed
41. The music was so______ that the audience were ______ to death.
A. boring .. bored B. bored … boring C.bored …bored D. boring … boring
42. When he came backafter an absence of 20 years, he found his hometown completely ______.
A. changing B.to be changed C. to change D.changed
43. Some of theexperiments ______ in the book are easy to perform.
A. beingdescribed B.described C. to be described D. having been described
44. I reallyappreciate ______ to help me, but I am sure that I can manage by myself.
A. you to offer B. that you offer C. your offering D. that you are offering
45. He should get usedby now ______ Chinese food.
A. to eating B. to eat C. for eating D.eating
46. The managerpromised to keep me ______ of how our business was going on.
A. to be informed B.on informing C.informed D. informing
47. No one thoughtthat John’s suggestion was worth ______ .
A. to consider B. considering C.to be considered D. of consideration
48. The young man gothis motor bicycle tyre ______ early this morning.
A. changed B.change C. changing D. be changed
49. ______ enoughmoney, they decided to call off the construction project.
A. Not to have raised B. Not raising C. Having not raised D. Not having raised
50. While reading thenewspaper, ______.
A. a colorful advertisementcaught my eyes
B. my attention was attracted byan advertisement
C. I was attracted by a colorfuladvertisement
D. What attracted my eyes was acolorful advertisement